Once upon a time there was a young, naïve girl that was sure she was going to be the very first female MLB player. Then life threw her a few curve balls, she took some heavy hits, and got lost along the way.
Today marks 45 years that I have been navigating this world and the first birthday that I have woken up with abundant joy and peace. It’s not because life is smooth sailing, but over the years I have gathered wisdom and experience through life’s ups and downs. If I could go back in time and talk with the younger me, I would let her in on a few of life’s secrets…
- You are going to screw up A LOT! Learn to forgive yourself, seek forgiveness from others and then MOVE ON! You can’t change the past no matter how hard you try.
- You’re a mess and so is the world we live in. Inevitably, you will be crushed by the very people that are supposed to love you well. Don’t hang on to anger and resentment, that baggage gets REALLY heavy. And you will spill some of the contents onto those closest to you.
- Everyone has an opinion, but only a handful of them truly matter. Learn the difference and hold your trusted ones close. They are priceless.
- Take care of yourself physically, mentally & spiritually. When you are happy and whole you will have so much to more to offer those around you. You can’t pour from an empty cup.
- The most important day of your life will be the day you truly understand God’s mercy and grace. When you do, spread it like wildfire!
- When you feel as though the bottom has fallen out, embrace it! Like it or not, you are embarking on a new adventure. You will never be the same, but you will come out on the other side bolder and wiser.
- Live each day with gratitude. Whether it’s meeting a huge goal or bravely crawling out of bed when you want to throw in the towel, there is always something to celebrate!
- Learn to love yourself, exactly as you are. You will have gaps. No one and nothing this side of Heaven can fill them. Seek the very one who created you. Learn who He is and who he says you are. That’s the secret to finding perfect peace.
- It’s never too late to learn something new, find your passion, reinvent yourself. While there is breath in your lungs there is more life to be lived!
- Eventually you find your way. Therapy played a huge role in the process and nothing you do will make God love you less. Spending time with him each morning is more precious than gold.
Carry on brave one, there’s a whole world waiting for you!
Until next time,